Pennsylvania EPPICard

Features & Benefits

  • Can be used to make purchases anywhere MasterCard® Debit Cards are accepted
  • No fees for Purchases at Point of Sale location, PIN or signature. You may also get "cash back" with your purchase
  • Get cash at any ATM displaying the MasterCard® logo
  • No charge for cash withdrawals at Wells Fargo Bank, First Niagara Bank, or PNC Bank teller window
  • Make six (6) free calls each month to the Customer Service Center's Interactive Voice Response system
  • Get available balance and transaction history online or by phone
  • Contact Email Support - available online for all your Customer Service Questions 24/7

Card Details Get Help

Pennsylvania EPPI Card (Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Debit MasterCard®)



Pennsylvania EPPICard Help

For questions related to the Pennsylvania EPPICard (Pennsylvania Debit Card), call Customer Service at 1-800-304-1669. For Customer Service outside of the United States, call collect by dialing 801-567-5342. Customer Service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can call customer service about the following issues: Reporting lost or stolen cards, Balance inquiries, PIN changes, Transaction history requests, Registering a complaint about a card issue, Questions about card usage and questions about international card usage.

To register your card or log into your Pennsylvania Debit Card account, click here.

Cardholders, who have any questions about their child support case including when your payments have been deposited to your EPPICard™ ; should contact your county Domestic Relations Office.

ALERT: Pennsylvania EPPICards issued between August 2004 and August 2005 are due to be replaced. Please check the "Valid Thru" date on the front of your card and look for your replacement in the mail the month it is due to expire. Please make sure your address is current with your local Domestic Relations Service office or through EPPICARD customer service at (800) 304 1669. If have gotten married or legally have changed your name you must make this change through the local domestic relations office and provide the proper documentation." For additional information regarding "Expiring" cards, please click here.